Ronald G. BrunoChairman Emeritus/Founder
Gene HallmanPresident and CEO
John BochnakExecutive VP, Finance
Sean SovacoolExecutive VP, Golf
George DennisPresident, ZOOM Motorsports
Douglas HabgoodExecutive VP, Golf
Dee Dee MathisSenior VP, Sales
Sandy DoddVP, Legal & Administration
George ShawExecutive VP, Golf
Carrie ColemanVP, Collegiate & Amateur Sports
Ronald G. Bruno
Mr. Bruno graduated from The University of Alabama in 1974 with a B.S degree in Marketing. Following graduation, Mr. Bruno began his career at Bruno’s Supermarkets, Inc., holding various management positions from 1974 through 1991. In 1991 he became Chairman and CEO and held that position until the company was sold in 1995; at the time of sale, Bruno’s Supermarkets, Inc. operated 250 stores in six southern states with a sales volume approaching $3 billion.
The Bruno family’s philosophy of giving back to the community combined with their passion for golf led Ronald Bruno and his father, Angelo, to start an annual golf tournament in Birmingham on the Senior Tour.
The inaugural Bruno’s Memorial Classic was held at Greystone Golf and Country Club in Hoover in 1992 with George Archer becoming the event’s first champion. Greystone served as the tournament home for the next 14 years, and interestingly 14 different champions were crowned over that time. The tournament became an annual tradition for Birmingham area residents, drawing some of the largest crowds on the Senior PGA Tour, as well as some of the most notable players including Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Hale Irwin, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Tom Watson and Lee Trevino. The Bruno’s Memorial Classic was recognized as the Best PGA Senior Tour event by players, tournament officials and media in a Sports Illustrated poll in both 2001 and 2004; the only times the award was given.
In 2005, Regions Financial Corporation became the tournament title sponsor, changing the name to the Regions Charity Classic. Since the tournament’s inception over $19 million dollars have been donated to charity.
After retiring from Bruno’s Supermarkets, Inc., in 1995, Mr. Bruno founded an investment company, Bruno Capital Management, where he currently serves as president. Later that same year, Mr. Bruno formed Bruno Event Team with partner Gene Hallman.
Since its start in 1995, Bruno Event Team has grown, employing more than 70 full-time employees in multiple offices throughout the United States and Bermuda. Bruno Event Team includes the Golf Division, Bruno Hospitality, ZOOM Motorsports, Gameday Operations, and a merchandise and ticket operation. The company is also affiliated with the Alabama Sports Foundation, and has managed numerous events for the Foundation including the Magic City Classic and SEC Baseball tournament.
Mr. Bruno has served on the board of directors of the following public corporations during his business career: Bruno’s Inc. (18 years), Books-A-Million (23 years), Russell Corporation (14 years) and South Trust Bank (18 years). Mr. Bruno actively served his community and has been a Board Member of The Metropolitan Development Board, The Club, A Club Foundation and St. Vincent’s Foundation where he is a past chairman. He has also served as Tocqueville chairman of United Way. He currently serves on the President’s Cabinet at The University of Alabama and is also the former Chairman of the Board of Visitors at the College of Commerce and Business.
Mr. Bruno was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame in 2009 and the Birmingham Golf Hall of Fame in 1994.
Mr. Bruno retired from active management in Bruno Event team in 2019 and currently is Chairman Emeritus.
Mr. Bruno and his wife, Lee Ann, have one son Gregory, who is employed in New York City. Ronnie and Lee Ann attend Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church.
- M.B.A. (Magna Cum Laude) University of South Carolina, 1985
- Received MBA Outstanding Student Award
- B.S. in Economics (Cum Laude) College of Charleston, South Carolina, 1982
- President/CEO of Bruno Event Team, a Birmingham, Alabama-based sports event management company.
- Formed with partner Ronald Bruno in 1995, Bruno Event Team employs more than 90 teammates in 12 offices throughout North America. The company manages a wide variety of major sporting events.
- Bruno Event Team is one of the country’s largest event management companies dedicated exclusively to managing sporting events.
- Since 1992, most noted for the management of the Birmingham area Champions Tour event which began as the Bruno’s Memorial Classic at Greystone and is now known as the Regions Tradition
- 20+ USGA National Championships including the U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Senior Open, and Walker Cup
- 50+ Champions Tour events (formerly Senior Tour)
- 20+ LPGA golf tournaments
- 15+ Web.com Tour tournaments
- Exclusive promoter for world-renowned Barber Motorsports Park – Birmingham, AL
- Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama- the only INDYCAR event in Deep South
- Barber Historics- Vintage automobile festival
- Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival
- Southeastern Conference Baseball Tournament (since 1998) Regions Park -Hoover, AL
- Gameday Operations for the University of Alabama Football, Gymnastics, and Basketball programs
- Magic City Classic, the largest HBCU college football game in the country- Legion Field; Birmingham, AL
2020 Health Testing Facilities
- Operations and onsite logistics for GuideSafe™ Entry Testing, providing free COVID-19 testing for all four-year and two-year students at Alabama’s colleges and universities.
- CrossFit Games World Championship, 2011– present- Home Depot Center, Los Angeles, CA
- National Senior Games, 2017- Birmingham, AL
Other Notable Event Experience
- CEO for Birmingham Olympic Soccer Venue, 1996 – Legion Field, Birmingham, AL
- World Heavyweight Championship Boxing Match- First ever Title fight in Alabama history-Bartow Arena- Birmingham, AL
- AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour, 2006 – Hoover, Al
- SWAC Football Championship,1999-2005 — Legion Field, Birmingham, AL
- NCAA 1st & 2nd Round Basketball Tournament Games, 2000, 2003, 2008- Birmingham, AL
- United States Olympic Men’s Marathon Trials, 2004-Birmingham, AL
- Southeastern Gymnastics Championship, 1999, 2001,2004, 2010, 2014- Birmingham, AL
- NCAA Men’s Soccer Final Four National Championship, 2011-2012 – Hoover, AL
- NCAA Women’s National Gymnastics Championship, 2014- Birmingham, AL
- Brett Favre Charity annual softball game, Green Bay Packers, 2000-2007 -Green Bay, WI
- 2020 – Top 40 Under 40 All-Stars: The Ultimate Top 40 Class by the Birmingham Business Journal
- 2016 – 205 Influential Executives by the Metro Birmingham Business
- 2016 – Recognized as one of Birmingham’s Most Influential Leaders by the Birmingham Business Journal
- 2015 – Client Spotlight by the Birmingham Business Journal
- 2014 – Recognized as one of Birmingham’s Most Influential Leaders by the Birmingham Business Journal
- 2013 – Recognized as one of Birmingham’s Most Influential Leaders by the Birmingham Business Journal
- 2011 – Inducted into Birmingham Golf Association Hall of Fame
- 2010 – Top 40 Under 40 Alumni Hall of Fame; Birmingham Business Journal
- 2005 – Community Leadership Award; City of Leeds
- 2004 – Men of Substance and Style; Birmingham Magazine
- 2003 – Alabama Man of the Year; March of Dimes
- 1999 – Top Ten Up and Coming Leaders for Birmingham Region; Birmingham News
- 1994-1999 – Top Twelve Most Influential Sports Leaders in Alabama; Birmingham Post-Herald
- 1999 – Vestavia Hills Rotary Club Celebrity Roast Honoree
- 1998 – Outstanding Community Sales & Marketing Award; Birmingham Sales and Marketing Execs
- 1997 – Best in Business Rising Star Award; Birmingham Business Journal
- 1996 – Alabama Marketer of the Year; America Marketing Association
- 1996 – Birmingham Man of the Year; Birmingham Business Journal
- 1995-1996 – Birmingham’s Top 10 Most Influential People; Birmingham Business Journal
- 1995 – Birmingham Person of the Year; Birmingham Magazine
- 1995 – Communicator of the Year; International Association of Business Communicators
- 1995 – Top 40 Under 40; Birmingham Business Journal
- United Way, Alexis de Tocqueville Society Member
- Birmingham Business Alliance, Board of Directors
- Annual American Heart Association Ball Gala, Emcee
- Competitive long distance runner; competed in both New York City and Boston Marathons
- Centennial Olympic Games, Atlanta 1996, Torchbearer
- Born December 22, 1959, Anderson, SC,
- Two children–daughter, Ella Grace, 10/22/03; son, Marshall 9/6/05
- Member, Mountain Brook Community Church
Mr. Bochnak received a Bachelor of Science in Accounting, as well as a Masters of Accountancy from The University of Alabama. He currently serves as Executive Vice President of Business Affairs for Bruno Event Team, overseeing all financial, administrative and human resource functions for the company and all of its divisions. He also manages the Gameday Operations projects for Bruno Event Team, which entails handling all aspects of parking, traffic and tailgating for The University of Alabama home football, basketball and gymnastics events. He also oversees Gameday Operations at UAB, Auburn University, Alabama State University, and Notre Dame Global Partnerhsips.
Mr. Sovacool has been with Bruno Event Team for 19 years serving in various capacities for the Golf Division. He holds a Masters in Kinesiology from Georgia State and a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Management from Georgia Tech. He currently serves as Executive Vice President of Golf for Bruno Event Team, overseeing all aspects of our relationships with the Western Golf Association, the Bermuda Championship and the Rapiscan Systems Classic.
Mr. Dennis comes to Bruno Event Team with a wide range of experience in sales and marketing. He currently serves as the President of ZOOM Motorsports and oversees all races and events at Barber Motorsports Park, along with Bruno Hospitality, the catering division of ZOOM Motorsports. Prior to joining Bruno Event Team, Dennis served as the General Manager for the Blazer IMG Sports Network. Additionally, he spent ten years at Talladega Superspeedway, home to two annual races on the NASCAR circuit, as the Senior Director of Sales and Marketing.
Mr. Habgood earned a Bachelor of Arts in Advertising Management from the University of South Carolina. He currently serves in a dual role as Executive Vice President of Golf in our Midwest Region and as Tournament Director for the Principal Charity Classic in Des Moines, IA. Habgood’s duties include the strategic development, implementation and reporting of the sales and marketing plans, as well as management of the on-site event staffs. Habgood has led teams to five remarkably successful Championships in Colorado including the 2005 U.S. Women’s Open at Cherry Hills, the 2008 and 2018 U.S. Senior Opens and the 2011 U.S. Women’s Open at The Broadmoor and the 2014 BMW Championship at Cherry Hills. Doug’s leadership, creativity and strong work ethic have ensured that each of these events overdelivered for our valued clients and will go down as some of the best events in the company’s history. Prior to joining the company, Habgood worked on numerous golf events on the LPGA, PGA TOUR, PGA TOUR Champions and Web.com Tour with Executive Sports, Inc.
Dee Dee Mathis
Dee Dee Mathis serves as Senior Vice President of Sales. Mathis oversees sales for The World Games 2022. Prior to joining Bruno Event Team, Mathis was Vice President of Digital Sales for Community Newspaper Holdings Inc., one of the top publishers of local news and information in the United States. Mathis also spent eleven years with AL.com leading a statewide team of digital marketing executives, managers and directors. Mathis received her Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing from The University of Alabama.
Mrs. Dodd received a Juris Doctor from Cumberland School of Law, a Masters of Business Administration from Samford University, and a Bachelors of Business Administration from the University of Georgia. She serves as Vice President of Legal and Administration for the company. In this role, she oversees contract negotiations and provides legal advice to several divisions of the company, as well as manages many of the human resource and administrative functions of the company. Prior to joining Bruno Event Team, Mrs. Dodd worked with Medical Properties Trust as Assistant General Counsel, with Colonial Properties Trust as Vice President Legal Retail, and with Baker Donelson law firm.
Mr. Shaw received a Bachelor of Arts in History from The University of Alabama. He currently serves as Executive Vice President of the Golf Division and Tournament Director for the Regions Tradition. His duties include strategic planning, sales and marketing, the development and implementation of best practices as well as selecting and negotiating with company vendors throughout North America. Mr. Shaw is also the best golfer in the division.
Mrs. Coleman received a Bachelor of Science in Commerce and Business Administration from The University of Alabama. She currently serves as Vice President for Bruno Event Team overseeing the collegiate and amateur sports division. Coleman has been with Bruno Event Team since 2008 where she began in the golf division and then was promoted to the Director of Ticketing, running all ticketing operations for Bruno Event Team events.